Saturday, April 17, 2010

Festival Season is Upon Us! Finally!


We finally got that long, cold, weird wet winter behind us and are full-steaming it ahead into spring. And that means one thing: Outdoor festivals! And live music on patios at bars and restaurants all over. What is it about hearing music outside that's so, well, festive?


I kicked off my outdoor music season at Berryhill Baja Grill last night, featuring guitarist extraordinaire, Vic Duncan, who also happens to be my instructor. Berryhill is a cool place, because they have the kind of doors that slide all the way open, literally bringing the outdoors in. Kind of a weird setup for a "stage" for Vic (we actually ended up sitting behind him) but hey, the Dos Equis was cold, and the music was live! Trade Frankford Road for a beach or a lake view, and nothing could be more perfect. Well, unless drinks were on the house...


Thus began my month-long warmup for the ever popular Wildflower Festival in Richardson. This is its 18th year, and my 6th consecutive year. It's an annual weekend event for me and my sister, and it's by far the best outdoor festival I've ever been to. It's situated in, of all things, a corporate campus. There are banks, hotels, "urban-style" aparments, and various corporate headquarters on site. But they nestle 3 outdoor stages, one indoor stage as well as a laser show inside a theater into it. Then they mix in a food court, beverage stations, artisan tents and other vendors and it makes it one big, three-day party. A festival, even! And it's so cost-effective. A three-day pass is only $25. That's for *all* the shows!


A couple of years ago, thanks to some artwork my brother had donated, my sister and I managed to score VIP passes. Well, that spoiled us, and so now we plan to spring for the "Friends of the Festival" package which gets us reserved seating, free catering and beverages, as well as rooftop viewing. And that's even relatively cost-effective: $250 for 2 people. So $125 apiece. I paid $150 for one Van Halen ticket. It's a bargain!


This year's lineup features noteable local as well as national acts, like: Journey tribute band Frontiers, Le Freak, the B-52's, Candlebox, Los Lonely Boys, Vince Neil, and many, many others. Including .38 Special, who I've always wanted to see in concert, but never have. In addition, there's a singer/songwriter competition, and a street dance. The fun is non-stop! I've even considered checking into the on-site hotel so I don't have to miss a minute (and can always get to a private restroom...)


I'm already planning what to wear...


1 comment:

Food Czar said...

Wildflower is fun. Endless fun! Nonstop, even!!