Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back to Rockin'

It was a while before I felt like picking up the guitar again after the loss of my brother. Just thinking of playing hurt and brought the tears. After a wonderful evening with a guitar buddy and some unexpected live music, I felt like I could and finally picked it up a day or so ago, and I've been playing up a storm ever since. I ran across one of the songs I've been working on: "Drift Away" by Dobie Gillis. There's a lyric there that kind of brought me some sense of ... closure? understanding? comfort? determination? realization? Anyway, here it is:
------
Thanks for the joy you've given me
I want you to know I believe in your song
Rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You help me along
Makin' me strong
------
And with that, it's time to move forward. Because making music would be what Chris would want me to do in his memory.

So today I sat down with the ol' guitar and played some songs. Learned some new chords. Figured some chords out on my own. Sang along. Basically just enjoyed it again. Looking forward to more soon! (But first, my fingers need to heal a bit... :o)

1 comment:

Food Czar said...

Yay! The Chick is back rockin' again!! I know that's what Chris wanted. Love the blog's new look, too.