Friday, August 17, 2007

No Body Snatchers

Today a series of comical errors led me to a seat in a theater to see Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig in "The Invasion." Now, when I was a small child, there was a slumber party I went to this one time, where we watched scary movies all night, and the one that was the most memorable was the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." When I saw the previews for "The Invasion" a few weeks ago, I thought, how cool, an updated version. I was in the mood for a thriller, and so, popcorn in hand, I set about watching it.

At this point, I couldn't tell you whether I liked it or not, overall. I liked the creepy old-school sci-fi/thrillerness of it. But they mixed in this political commentary that I don't remember from the original. I guess you can't go to a movie these days without political commentary, which is distressing to me, because I just want to be entertained if I've paid good money for a movie. And the matinee shows aren't even cheap anymore, and don't get me started on the cost of the popcorn. But I digress...

Anyway, aside from the (IMHO) ridiculousness of the politicizing, as I said, there were some thrilling moments in it. Some interesting camera work, and the little kid that plays Nicole Kidman's son is just adorable. There were other ridiculous moments. Why throw away a perfectly good gun that you've just used to defend yourself and your son from aliens, when you know you're just going to face another hornets nest full of them? And why was it necessary to have 30 aliens clinging to the top of a speeding vehicle? Just weird. Oh, well. All things considered, it was better than being bored.

1 comment:

Food Czar said...

Politicizing a movie is one thing--pontificating is another, and there is too much pontificating these days--even by yours truly!